We asked families to taste-test more than 100 new products that contain no nuts, eggs, dairy, or wheat. Even kids without food allergies loved our winners!
There’s something for everyone on our list of the 25 best packaged foods made without common allergens. While you peruse the foods below, keep this guide in mind:
- PF – peanut free
- TNF – tree nut free
- GF – gluten free
- DF – dairy free
- EF – egg free
1. Vermont Nut Free Chocolates Cocoa Powder (PF & TNF)
Raise your hot-chocolate mug to this unsweetened cocoa powder, one of the few brands that doesn’t allow any peanuts or tree nuts in its facility. The company also sells nut-free Easter candy, including bunnies and eggs.
2. Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour Mix With Ancient Grains (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
You can sub this blend of millet, rice, teff, and buckwheat for the same amount of all-purpose flour in any recipe—though our testers thought it worked better in pancakes, muffins, and cookies than in cake. It packs about 50 percent more protein than its traditional counterpart, helping carbs be digested slower.
3. MadeGood Strawberry Granola Minis (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
The company hit a home run by rolling granola and dried-fruit pieces into bite-size balls. About ten come in a single-serve pouch for under 100 calories.
4. Daiya Deliciously Dairy & Soy Free Supreme Gluten-Free Pizza (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
Even with gluten-free crust, meatless sausage, and plant-based cheese, this pie earned high marks. Parents were particularly impressed that the cheese melted well.
5. So Delicious Dairy Free Snickerdoodle (GF, DF, EF)
It’s hard to stop eating this cashew milk–based frozen treat with cookiedough chunks. Luckily, it packs about 75 percent less fat than premium ice cream.
6. Simply Balanced Organic Rolled Tortilla Chips 7 Seeds & Grains (GF)
Testers were sold on the shape—like a Pirouette wafer cookie—and the sesame seeds on these tortilla chips.
7. Perfectly Free Non-Dairy Frozen Bites Blueberry & Vanilla (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
Icy treats are usually made in a place that handles dairy and nuts—but not this bonbon-like bite with a coconut-cream center and blueberry coating. Violet Beauregarde, eat your heart out: They’re only 25 calories each.
8. Freedom Foods Chewy Crunchola Granola Bar (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
It’s hard enough to find a granola bar that’s processed in a nut-free facility, let alone one that isn’t too sweet. This oatbased snack delivers on both counts, plus kid testers liked its soft texture and apple-cinnamon flavor.
9. Quaker Oats Gluten Free Quick 1-Minute Oats (GF)
Stray grains that contain gluten may end up in oats at the farm, in storage, or during transportation. For this fast cooking oatmeal and other products in its gluten-free line, Quaker takes safety measures to prevent contamination and conducts testing to make sure nothing’s amiss.
10. Boulder Organic! Tomato Bisque (PF, TNF, GF, EF)
Thickened with heavy cream and a bit of cornstarch instead of flour, this soup supplies two servings per container.
11. Paqui Tortilla Chips Nacho Cheese Especial (PF, TNF, GF)
Kids craving nacho chips? Trust our testers; this version made with organic cheddar and colored with tomato powder (instead of red food dye) is as delicious as well-known brands. You can buy it at many WalMarts.
12. Newman’s Own Organics Dried Berry Blend (PF, TNF, GF, EF)
Make your own allergy-friendly trail mix using this combo of five dried fruits and your kids’ fave cereal. Do-good bonus: All profits go to charitable causes.
13. Divvies Vegan and Nut Free Brownies (PF, TNF, DF, EF)
Moist, with mini chocolate chips inside, this dessert made with canola oil (instead of eggs and butter) was a big fave. One kid tester gushed, “Who wouldn’t love these brownies?” Moms appreciated that the treats are sold in a tray with eight servings, making them convenient for parties.
14. HappyTot Organics Super Smart Multi-Grain Alphabet Snacks (TNF & GF)
The only product to receive a thumbsup from every tester, these sweet potato crackers deliver a surprising amount of vitamin A and smell as great as they taste.
15. Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread (PF, TNF, GF, DF)
This soft loaf, made from brown-rice and teff flours, holds together well for sandwiches. Plus, the texture is lighter than some other gluten-free breads.
16. Erewhon Cinnamon Crispy Brown Rice Cereal (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
Thanks to organic cinnamon and a bit of maple syrup, this cereal tastes sweeter than the 2 grams of sugar per cup it contains.
17. Homefree Lemon Burst Mini Cookies (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
Testers raved about these tiny, tangy treats, which reminded them of the lemon-flavored Girl Scout cookies. They’re made with whole-grain oat flour and lemon juice and extract.
18. Barilla Gluten Free Penne (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
This mix of corn and rice flours tastes similar to traditional pasta; some kid testers didn’t even notice the difference. Keep an eye on the pot since it’s easy to overcook any gluten-free pasta.
19. Ian’s Herb Crusted Fish Filet (PF, TNF, GF, DF, EF)
A step up from fish sticks, these wild pollocks receive a crunchy coating from gluten-free breadcrumbs. Each box contains four filets.
20. Don’t Go Nuts Simply Cinnamon Nut Free Roasted Soybean Spread (PF, TNF, GF, EF)
Watch out PB & J: Kid testers thought this spread made from dry-roasted soybeans tasted yummy. You can buy it in a jar or in single-serve packets, which testers used for dipping apple slices.
21. Evol Chicken Enchiladas (PF, TNF, GF)
Stuff black beans, chicken breast, cheese, and veggies inside corn tortillas, and you end up with this filling frozen entrée that two kids can split.
22. Popchips Potato Ridges Perfectly Salted (PF, TNF, GF, EF)
Made in a pressurized chamber so the potatoes pop, this crunchy snack doesn’t contain any saturated fat. Testers noted that they’re far more flavorful and satisfying than baked chips.
23. Lärabar Minis (GF & DF)
Now sold in the perfect size for kids, these no-sugar-added bars are available in three delicious flavors—apple pie, cashew cookie, and cherry pie.
24. Snack Pack Naturals Pudding (GF)
Finding trace amounts of gluten in pudding is surprisingly common, but these shelf-stable cups are A-OK for kids with celiac disease. Plus, the ingredients list closely resembles what you’d use when making the treat from scratch.
25. Kashi Gluten Free Cinnamon Waffles (GF)
The cinnamon flavor stands out in these frozen waffles, adding more kid appeal to the blend of oat and sorghum flours.